A Peak of Research Excellence at the University of Leeds
- Welcome to the website of the Astbury Centre for Structural Molecular Biology. The Astbury Centre is an interdisciplinary research centre that brings together around 250 researchers from across the University to understand the molecular basis of life.
- Congratulations to Dr Lorna Dougan on being awarded the RSC Macro Group UK Young Researchers' Medal for 2013 for contributions to polymer science that show outstanding promise for the future.
- Congratulations to Sophie Schumann, one of our Wellcome Trust-funded PhD students, on being awarded the Sir Howard Dalton Young Microbiologist of the Year Award of the Society of General Microbiology for 2013
- Congratulations to Alex Borodavka, who has just completed his PhD as one of our Wellcome Trust funded students, on being awarded a Sir Henry Wellcome Fellowship.
- The Centre is named after Prof William Astbury, FRS, one of the pioneers of modern structural molecular biology.
- Prof Sheena Radford has been awarded the Carl Branden Award of the Protein Society for services to science.
- Melvyn Bragg presents a history of X-ray crystallography including a contribution from Astbury Deputy Director Thomas Edwards
The Astbury Centre
The Astbury Centre brings together researchers from across the University - largely from physics, the biological sciences and chemistry - to allow interdisciplinary approaches to be harnessed to understand the molecular basis of life. The Centre has outstanding expertise and research infrastructure in chemical biology, biophysics and all of the major techniques in structural molecular biology. Together, these approaches are combined with analyses of biological function with the ultimate aim of understanding the molecular basis of biological mechanisms in living cells. Our members address major questions associated with biological mechanisms in areas as diverse as membrane proteins; protein folding and assembly; viruses; and motor proteins. The Astbury Centre hosts 4-year PhD programmes funded by the Wellcome Trust and BBSRC that recruit students with the wide range of expertise that may be used to address fundamental biological questions.
Welcome to the Centre
Link to a short movie introducing the Centre